Electron Configuration Of Argon

Argon is one of the most stable chemical elements. It has a full outer shell of electrons, which means it is not reactive. Argon gas can be used to prevent fires by removing oxygen from the environment.

argon electron configuration

Electron Configuration of Argon Atom

The electron configuration of argon is  The outermost energy level, which is the third energy level, is called the valence shell. The valence shell is where the chemical reactions take place.

Argon Electronic Configuration Tabular Form

Atomic Number 18
Atomic Mass 39.948 u
Symbol (Notation) Ar
Electronic Configuration
Ground State Electronic Configuration
Excited State Electronic Configuration It has no excited state
Abbreviated Form [Ne] 3s² 3p⁶
Block category p-block
Group   18 group (belong to noble gases)
State Gas
No Allotropes

electron configuration of argon

Types of Argon

There are three isotopes of argon: 36Ar, 38Ar, and 40Ar. The most common isotope is 40Ar, which makes up 99.6% of naturally occurring argon. 36Ar and 38Ar make up the remaining 0.4%. All three isotopes are stable and do not undergo radioactive decay.

The different isotopes of argon have different atomic weights, which affects the electron configuration of the atom.

The electron configuration of 36Ar is [Ne]

while the electron configuration of 38Ar is [Ne] 4s2.

The electron configuration of 40Ar is [Ne] 4s2 3d10.

The different isotopes of argon also have different physical properties. For example, 36Ar is a gas at room temperature, while 38Ar and 40Ar are liquids. 36Ar also has a lower melting point than both 38Ar and 40Ar.

Ground State of Argon Electron Configuration

In chemistry and atomic physics, the ground state of an atom is its lowest-energy state. The ground state of a molecule is the state with the lowest total energy. In quantum mechanics, the groundstate is a special case of an eigenstate. The ground state of an electron in an atom or molecule is also called the “fundamental state”.

The electrons in atoms and molecules occupy orbitals. In atoms, the orbitals are filled according to the Aufbau principle: electrons fill low-energy orbitals first. In molecules, orbitals may be singly occupied or doubly occupied. The Lowest Energy Structure (LES) is the molecular orbital configuration with the lowest energy.

The term “ground state” can also refer to the electronic configuration of an atom or molecule in its lowest energy state. For example, the ground state of carbon is 1s^2 2s^2 2p^2, which corresponds to the configuration of a carbon atom with four valence electrons in its outermost orbital.

Excited State of Argon Electron Configuration

In an atom, the electrons occupy energy levels, or shells. The ground state of an atom is the state with the lowest energy. The excited state of an atom is any state with higher energy than the ground state.

When an electron is excited, it moves to a higher energy level. This can happen when the atom absorbs energy from its surroundings, such as heat or light. Excited electrons are unstable and will eventually return to their ground state by releasing the extra energy they absorbed.


The electron configuration of argon is pretty simple to understand once you know the basics of atomic structure and the periodic table. In short, argon has 18 electrons in its outermost energy level, which corresponds to the element’s atomic number of 18. This means that argon is a member of the noble gas family, and it is relatively stable because all of its electron shells are full.